Call 911 -YOU ARE PROTECTED
Act Fast and call 911 to save a life! Most fatal overdoses are witnessed, offering an opportunity for bystanders to call 911. New Mexico’s Good Samaritan Law provides some protection even if drugs are at the scene. Give Narcan even if you do not know what kind of drugs a person took.
Don’t leave a friend to sleep off an overdose.
NM’s Good Samaritan law protects you if you call 911 for medical help for someone experiencing an overdose EVEN IF:
- You shared drugs
- Possess drug paraphernalia
- Are on probation or parole
- There is a restraining order that would normally ban you from being near the overdosing person
- You or the person experiencing an illegal drug-related overdose will NOT be arrested, charged or taken to court.
YOU ARE NOT PROTECTED IF:
- You have an outstanding warrant
- There is evidence of other criminal activity at the scene